Monday, August 01, 2005

Sleep Loss...

Let be begin by saying that I love my wife. She's the most important thing in my life and I cannot imagine living without her. That being said, when I got up this morning, she was not my favorite person in the world.
S.A. is one of those lucky people who decides, "Gee, I'm tired," and immediately falls asleep. I, on the other hand, am not so lucky. I, like generations of Villemures before me, am an insomniac. Specifically, I have a hard time falling asleep. Once I'm out, it'd take a bomb blast to wake me up, but putting me out is a whole different kettle of fish. My method for combatting this affliction is generally to read until I can't keep my eyes open. Then I fall right asleep. I only run into problems when I turn the light off too soon. Then I lie there and think. And think. And think. This process often takes upwards of 3 hours.
Thankfully, S.A. Understands this and normally doesn't give me too much hassle for keeping my light on when she rolls over to go to sleep. Last night, however, I was bothering her more than normal by reading. Today she tells me that it was because I was reading a magazine and turning the pages was much more noisy. She says she wouldn't have minded a book. She neglected to tell me that salient detail last night, however.
Since I was obviously bothering her, I chose to go out the the couch to read for a while. Unfortunately, even when I felt tired enough to go to bed, I'd be awake again by the time I got into the bed. This led to a night-long saga of reading on the couch for 45 minutes and then lying in bed staring at the ceiling for an hour, which was repeated over and over again. At about 3:45 I finally began to drift off. However, at about that point I was awakened by S.A. asking me why I wasn't asleep. Without responding, because I use that "Because YOU wouldn't let me read!" was unlikely to lead to my falling asleep any sooner, I rolled over and attempted to driftt back off. At about 4:30 as I was again drifting off, I was reawakned by "Why aren't you asleep?". This time I couldn't resist responding "Because you keep TALKING to me!" I finally fell asleep about 4:45. Seven o'clock seemed get there very quickly.
So today I'm a bit cranky. However, I still want to say congratulations to Andrew Andrew who just finished working on his M.B.A. (I, of course, am an MBS. M for Master, BS for, well, BS. To quote Alf- "Heh, I Kill me!") Alright thanks for letting me vent. I'll check in later with John Roberts news.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

To hear "her side" of the story, check out my blog at www.usebigwords.blogspot.com.