Friday, August 19, 2005

Baby Names

Hey! 2 posts in one day! God forbid anyone should think I actually have a real job...

S.A. and I went in this morning to have our first ultrasound. Well, Sarah had an ultrasound. I stood there, holding her hand and making what I hope were comforting faces. This early in the gestation, they don't do the ultrasounds like you see on TV withe the goop on the belly and the defibrilator paddles (or whatever those are). When you're only 6 weeks in, they do the old "trans-vaginal" ultrasound. In other words they stick this plastic wand WAAAYYYY up inside the pregnant woman so they can see what's happening inside. At first, her facial expressions alarmed me, but I relaxed when i realized that the only reason her eyes kept buggin halfway out of their sockets is because the OB/GYN was pushing them out with that little wand. I assume anything is okay, as long as a doctor is doing it.
Anyway, they found "Junior", as S.A. has taken to calling him. I asked if it was okay if, just for now, I called him "Spot". Yet another one of those moments when I wish I was blind so I didn't realize the looks of horror, display, and anger that are so often directed my way. So I am NOT calling the baby Spot. Not even in jest. I might call it Elton for now, on the suggestion of Andrew Andrew.
Anyway, it's official. We really do have a baby growing inside my wife. Hopefully we'll have better luck with him/her than we do with our houseplants, or else the poor thing will be born with brown leaves and mold around his/her feet.
Also, I feel that Spot was a perfectly logical, if somewhat insensitive, choice of name right now, as you can see in our first baby picture. He/She is the little white-ish smudge in the bottom right part of the black circle. (I think.)



Anyway, I just thought y'all would like to know. :)

Laterz

No comments: