Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Spelunking and Asia (Not to be confused with Spelunking IN Asia...)

I noticed another interesting thing this morning. I have more readers in Central Asia than I do in the entire Mountain Time Zone. This concerns me. First, I'm pretty sure that people in places like Montana and Utah could stand to hear a little more from me becuase, as I recall, they all voted for the our beloved Moron-In-Chief. Also, I wonder a great deal what folks in Central Asia think about my blog. I don't know all that much about Asia, (mostly, just what I saw on Long Way Round,) but I'm guessing they think I have way too much spare time. Which is probably true. However, I don't know what they're thinking because nobody's left a comment yet. Yet another way in which I feel unloved... Anyway, I guess y'all probably don't care, but now you know anyway.

On a completely unrelated note, I went spelunking this weekend. It was U.P. spelunking, so it wasn't exactly dangerous or spectacular, but is was in the middle of the night and it followed a long evening of drinking, so it was very enjoyable just the same. Dave, Jeff, Rach, and I put on our head lamps and went down to get extremely cold and wet. It turns out that caves, with foot-deep water in them, and no possibility of passage without a significant amount of submersion in just-over-freezing water, have a very sobering effect. Also, you wake up quickly because you don't want to continue sticking your hands in 6-inch-deep piles of bat guano. Jeff noted that he'd never seen bats flying around anyone's knees before. It is also worth noting that when a drunken, out-of-work, private investigator tells you that there's a great underground waterfall, and it's worth the struggle to get there becuase of the grandeur of the scene, it's probably not. Underground waterfalls in the U.P. usually resemble a garden hose pouring off a rock. Kind of neat, but not especially grand. Anyway, it was great fun and I thought I should pass along the message to all you adventure seekers out there there are great opportunities for danger and excitement underground in the eastern U.P. As long as you don't mind bat poop.

Laterz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how do you find out where your readers are reading from ?