Friday, July 08, 2005

Pacifism, Bombs, & Monkees

Thoughts of the Morning-
I'd really like to be a pacifist. I'm pretty damn close. However, if somebody has some fool proof method for "letting go" when I wish harm to individuals in places of power, let me know. I couldn't even say anything about the train bombings in London yesterday because I was still too upset to talk about it at the beginning of the afternoon. I spent 20 minutes sitting at my desk just staring at my computer monitor because I was having difficulty putting it out of my mind when I came in to work in the morning.
Here's what I think. Muslims don't hate Americans for their freedoms. Muslims, as a whole, don't hate Americans at all. That's mororic. 1.6 million Muslims ARE Americans. However, Terrorist groups (and this is certainly a very different population than the general Muslim population) do target the US and their allies. I absolutely, completely, and totally blame our current presidential administration for that. How is it that the average 5th grader can see the difference between defending ourselves (Going to Afghanistan) and just acting like international bullies (Iraq, Iran, Korea). Hey, I'm not excited about countries that we've put great effort into pissing off having nuclear (Notice how that's spelled. NUKE-LEE-UR. If you pronounce it Nuke-U-lur, you're not using a regional dialect or some sort of colloquialism. You're just illiterate.) capabilities, but I don't know how we can justify saying "Hey, we're responsible enough to have them, but you're not. Neener neener." That sort of hubris is the reason Americans are not particularly popular right now in the rest of the world. So here's my suggestion to all the terrorists out there who are ticked at us- If you must take action against the people who have wronged you, make sure you're not hurting the people who agree with you that the American government has radically overstepped its bounds. And for everyone else, say a little prayer (for all you religious types) or just think good thoughts for all the people who have been dragged into harm's way through no fault of their own. And hope you don't become one of them.

One last thought, and it's a complete non-sequiter. I listened to the Monkees on the way into work this morning, and if "Daydream Believer" doen't improve your mindset at any given time, you should probably talk to a doctor. The things you listen to affect your outlook on life, so though it's great to be informed, I don't suggest listening to NPR last thing before you get out of your car and walk into work. There's no point in being in a bad mood before you start your work day. Even though life sucks and the world has gone completely and sometimes homicidaly insane, IT'S PROBABLY NOT THE SECRETARY'S FAULT. My old high school english teacher once told me that even when you're ina bad mood, you should always smile at anyone you pass. They'll smile back. And your day will be just a little bit brighter. Alright, end of sermon. Laterz.

No comments: