Friday, February 23, 2007

People with conscience.

It's been an interesting day. I hate the fact that our society is so celebrity-obsessed. It feels to me like the fact that we hang on every celebrity's word, breathlessly waiting to pounce on them at their first sign of weakness, says really negative things about us. (And don't tell me that I'm a hypocrite because I'm so quick to comment on politicians and, after all, aren't politicians celebrities, too? Politicians work for us. Watching and commenting on them isn't sad. It's called performance evaluation.)

This morning I read Dooce, and she wrote, without question, the best entry she's written in the time I've read her blog. It's about her reasons for not judging Britney Spears. I can't identify with her reasoning, having never suffered from post-partum depression, but I can certainly respect it.

Then, while home at lunch, I watch the episode of the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson I'd tivo'd on Monday Night/Tuesday Morning. His entire monologue was devoted to his reasoning for not making fun of her. It was tremendously heartfelt, sometimes funny, sometimes a bit scolding, tremendously eloquent, and, from start to finish, both touching and thought-provoking. Thank God to YouTube. It's 12-and-a-half minutes long, but it's worth it.



I've often said that I try (and regularly fail) to live my life in a way that would make my grandfather proud. Obviously Heather at Dooce and Craig both have/had great grandparents too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't even get me started on how broken our society is. I feel lucky to make it through another day in the New World Order that we live in.

Don't worry though, the party of Davos (Switzerland) is doing its best to bring us One World Government ASAP.